08/10/2020: Recordings on Alexa
We’re really excited to announce that as well as listening through this web site or through the BWBF app on your smart phone or tablet, you can now listen to your favourite Talking Newspaper on your Amazon Echo (Alexa) Smart Speaker.
But what is the Alexa smart speaker I hear you ask?
Well in simple terms, it is a very clever voice operated computer that can answer most questions you could think of asking!
You may remember that last year Amazon had an advert on the Television showing a young lady waking up, making a coffee and asking ‘Alexa’ what the time is and then just as she gets to the door she asks ‘Alexa’ what the weather is like. At this point her guide dog is shown and it’s then that you realise she has a visual impairment.
People have asked us whether we think the Amazon Echo Smart Speaker would help the visually impaired, so we thought we’d take a look at some of the things you could use it for.
So, for example you can ask it:
- What’s the Time and if you’re think of phoning a friend on the other side of the world, what’s the time in Melbourne;
- What’s the Weather like outside or what’s the weather Forecast;
- What’s on the Television;
- Remind me to do things;
- Ask it for cooking recipes;
- Play Radio Northwich or any radio programme from virtually anywhere in the world;
- Listen to Pod Casts;
- Subscribe and listen to Talking Books;
- Subscribe and listen to Music streaming services;
- Use it as a telephone to phone your friends and relatives;
- Use it as an emergency contact in case you can’t get to the phone;
- You can get smart light bulbs which you can ask it to switch on and off;
- Oh and of course you can listen to Vale Royal Talking Newspaper at any time you like with a new edition published at the same day as the Northwich or Winsford Guardian every Thursday.
If you would like to chat to us about a Smart Speaker then please get in touch.
03/09/2020: Recordings on this web site
Our recordings are now live on this web site every week. To listen to the latest one, please go to the ‘Recordings’ page.
07/08/2020: Recommencing Recordings
Great news! We are set to recommence recordings on Thursday 13th August. We know our listeners have missed us and we are delighted to be back.
02/06/2020: Vale Royal Talking Newspaper Receives Queen’s Award For Voluntary Service
The volunteers at the Vale Royal Talking Newspaper are delighted to announce that the charity has been awarded the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service, the highest award a voluntary group can receive in the UK. Vale Royal Talking Newspaper is one of 230 charities, social enterprises and voluntary groups to receive this prestigious award this year.
The Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service (the MBE for volunteer groups) aims to recognise outstanding work by volunteer groups to benefit their local communities. It was created in 2002 to celebrate the Queen’s Golden Jubilee. Recipients are announced each year on June 2nd, the anniversary of the Queen’s coronation.
David Briggs MBE, KStJ, Lord Lieutenant of Cheshire, commented,
“I am very much aware of this Talking Newspaper and of the outstanding job which they do and the very real difference they make to so many people with sight loss. For many this is a truly important window for them into the world which they can no longer see. I am delighted that Vale Royal Talking Newspaper has received the recognition which it deserves and I send my thanks to each of the wonderful volunteers who keep this important service going. I do hope that I will soon be able to present this Award to the volunteers in person.”
26/03/2020: Corona Virus
Due to corona virus shut down and to protect our volunteers, we have had to suspend our recordings for the time being. If you require any information, please get in touch.